Sunday, November 16, 2008

Burne-Jones Red House Tribute


Today I wanted to share a great image I was able to find of the panel Burne-Jones made for display near the settle in Red House, one of a series telling the story of The Wedding Procession of Sir Degrevaunt.

What I love about this image is, of course, that the central figures are actually portraits of William Morris and Jane. But I also love that this is a serious portrait. So often we see comical drawings of Topsy made by his friends, or tongue-in-cheek use of his image for comic reasons (i.e. the stained glass window with Morris as Goliath's head) but here we have a true celebration of the union of William and Jane, done before their marriage began its bitter turn toward infidelity.

The location of the painting can be seen in the below image, click to enlarge:


Thanks to this wonderful site for both images.

6 comments:

Margaret said...

Such a lovely painting! And it is awfully nice to see a happy image of Jane and Topsy. Great post!

Grace said...

Thanks! I was so thrilled to find a good image of this painting :)

{Tara} said...

Such a beautiful blog...so happy to have stumbled upon it!

Grace said...

Thank you, Tara! Welcome!

Anonymous said...

This is such a lovely website! It is exactly my cup of tea! I look forward to reading more posts.

Grace said...

Thank you so much, Barbara! I always truly appreciate new readers :)