Sunday, October 10, 2010

Blackwell Exhibits


Many thanks to Bryony Whistlecraft for sending along this link. Anyone lucky enough to be in England, there's an amazing exhibit going on right now (for another week only!) at Blackwell: The Arts & Crafts House. I hadn't heard of this location before Bryony called it to my attention, and now of course I have another P.R.B.-related stop to make on my "someday dream" tour of England.

The William Morris: A Sense of Place exhibit is going on through October 17th. The exhibit includes "designs, textiles, books, samples, and personal artifacts" of Morris'.


Their next exhibit, Aspects of the Arts & Crafts Movement, will run October 25 - January 3 2011, and features the work of cabinet-maker Arthur Simpson.


My favorite exhibit, however, was the recently-created LawnPaper environmental installation outside the Blackwell estate to coincide with the William Morris exhibit. Environmental artist Steve Messam created patterns in the lawn at Blackwell to mimic William Morris wallpaper patterns. Absolutely beautiful, and a brilliant idea!

3 comments:

Hermes said...

Many thanks.

Bryony said...

I really can't recommend a visit to Blackwell high enough!

Paula Cuccurullo said...

I visited this exhibition and I adored it - and such a gorgeous house and setting too :)